[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
AES67 Virtual Soundcard (Windows) - TAG Share

AES67 Virtual Soundcard (Windows)

Discussion space for anything related to Q-Sys.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
wayne.osborn
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

AES67 Virtual Soundcard (Windows)

Postby wayne.osborn » April 30th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Thought I would share this one as it frustrated myself and my client for a while but eventually the solution was simple once the missing pieces are put in place...

I am working on a court house project, we are streaming AES67 to the transcription recorders which are Windows servers running the LAWO R3LAY virtual sound card software (64 channel). My responsibility was to program and deliver the AES67 streams. The clients IT provider is receiving the streams. I was asked to step in and help when receiving the streams become troublesome. Initially, a Wireshark session revealed network (VLAN) issues as no PTP clock packets where observed. Session discovery as we soon discovered was the next hurdle...

We could see the AES67 streams using Dante Controller, so we knew the streams hit the server, R3LAY just didn't see them.

While the Merging Ravenna VSC (MacOS) supports SAP/SDP announcements to detect the streams, the LAWO VSC only supports Bonjour. FYI the Q-Sys AES67 Transmitter provides SAP/SDP announcements only so the marriage of LAWO R3LAY and Q-Sys AES67 is off to a bad start. We now had PTP clock locked but no streams detected.

Initially, I copy and pasted the SDP data from my MacOS VSC (as detected) and manually added a stream to R3LAY by pasting the SDP data into the "Add Stream SDP" method. This worked, jumping for joy! Matt Stapleton stepped in and offered a way to do the same with VLC on Windows. But... The multicast address of the stream changed whenever the DSP core was rebooted. So, my advice is to statically set the multicast address (MANUAL mode) on the AES67 transmitter, for this reason.

One more thing, I set the DSP project to the "Audinate" profile as I had no Q-Lan requirements and the R3LAY VSC defaults to PTP DSCP of 56, although its configurable.

Links:
LAWO R3lAY https://www.lawo.com/jade-vsc.html

Wayne Osborn
Osborn Audio

Ewan

Re: AES67 Virtual Soundcard (Windows)

Postby Ewan » May 1st, 2018, 11:14 am

Nice one Wayne. Thanks for sharing
Ewan @ TAG

Nick

Postby Nick » June 1st, 2018, 7:48 am

Hey mate, I'm fairly new to Q-Sys, but have worked with LAWO for many years. I think there is a tool that may help which is available from ALC Networx (The team that brought Ravenna to life). Ravenna is LAWOs preferred flavour of AES67, which is also fully SMPTE 2110 compliant, and the default streaming option for R3LAY. The tool though (which I will attempt to attach to this post) is a Ravenna > SAP converter, which I think should help resolve exactly the issues you describe here.

Cheers,
Nick
Please sign in or register to download the attached file.
Last edited by Nick on June 1st, 2018, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

wayne.osborn

Postby wayne.osborn » June 1st, 2018, 10:17 am

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately that tool doesn't help (I tried that originally).

R3LAY doesn't use either protocol.

Nick

Postby Nick » June 1st, 2018, 11:01 am

Interesting, I had thought I'd used it in conjunction with R3LAY VPB (Virtual Patch Bay) in the past but maybe I'm wrong. VSC is quite different I suppose. Might take a look at it next week as I believe this might be relevant to an upcoming project (Streaming via AES67 from VSC).

Cheers for letting me know

Return to “Q-Sys Discussion”