Blackmagic Smart Videohub

A library of User Components and Plugins for Q-Sys
mg
Site Admin

Blackmagic Smart Videohub

Postby mg » August 9th, 2016, 6:31 pm

Attached is a Q-Sys design file containing a control module for Blackmagic Smart Videohub switchers.

It is compatible with the 12x12 and 20x20 models (selectable in the block properties).
Support for 40x40 can be added by request.

The module can be used in two ways:
1) It can be used graphically - the visible controls behave identically to those on the front panel of the Videohub, or
2) It can be controlled via the "Selected Input" control pins. This allows for video switching logic to be linked to other design logic, or for multiple outputs to be linked (e.g. for room combining applications).

The module pushes routing information from Q-Sys whenever a change is made, and every 0.5 seconds.
As a result, any changes made via the controls on the front panel of the Videohub will be rapidly overridden by Q-Sys.
(This tradeoff is made in order to ensure that the desired state in Q-Sys is always effected.)
An option to disable this feature can be added by request.

Please sign in or register to download the attached file.

mikemitchell

Re: Blackmagic Smart Videohub

Postby mikemitchell » December 10th, 2016, 10:15 am

I have a 40x40 Videohub. Do you have a module for that?

Many thanks!!

LeeCobb

Postby LeeCobb » December 19th, 2016, 6:08 am

I have a script for a 40x40 that a friend developed, but am curious as to how yours is setup! Could you post your 40x40?
Thanks!

mg
Site Admin

Postby mg » December 19th, 2016, 10:07 am

Hi @MikeMitchell, we can adapt this module to add support for the 40x40 if you'd be happy to test it for us. Shoot me an email at [email protected].

billorr

Postby billorr » March 13th, 2017, 9:05 am

could you supply info on the use of the control pins in BMD design? The plugin is great. Thanks
Bill Orr

Cameron.breen

Postby Cameron.breen » June 14th, 2017, 12:24 am

Any chance that this code would be similar to the ATEM Television Studio? I'm needing some simple controls for that unit through Q-sys. thanks

callumbrieske

Postby callumbrieske » June 15th, 2017, 12:01 am

Unfortunately the ATEM control protocol is very different, and there isn't a published API available for it.
Some clever folks have reverse engineered the ATEM protocol, and written an Arduino library for controlling the atems.

I have been wanting to port this to Q-SYS for some time, but as I don't own any BMD hardware, I haven't had the chance.

I have a few installations with ATEMs in them, and when I've had to control them, a workaround I've used is as follows:

Install an Ethernet Arduino board on the network. (I use the Ethermega from freetronics)
Write a small Arduino sketch with the parameters you need control of, and add a tcp server to the sketch to accept commands from the Q-SYS system.
In Q-SYS, write a script that speaks to the Arduino.

The ATEMS are very picky with the timing, and regularity of ACK packets, and if the timing etc gets messed up they tend to crash. One benefit of using an Arduino for this, is it offloads this burden from the core. The core should be capable of doing this if someone had the time to write a script, and access to an ATEM.

See skaarhoj.com for more info on the ATEM library.

pdherring

Postby pdherring » March 26th, 2018, 12:47 am

Hey MG,

Im not sure if you are still looking at this project but two things.... would you be willing to update it to include the 72x72? Also correct my ignorance but using the Selected Input pins how would you specify which output that selection goes to?

Cheers

Lofty1988

Postby Lofty1988 » April 28th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Has anyone made any control for this that allows one button press to route a predefined source to destination? Imagine 4 cameras and 1 TV. I want an operator to hit one button to route Cam3, another for Cam2 etc.

Return to “Q-Sys Module Library”